Dirty, painted, fire or water damaged and black beams can make rooms feel heavy and dark, especially when combined with low ceilings, another feature of many period properties. If you are living with exposed beams or structural timbers that are in need of a little TLC, you may be considering a range of traditional solutions to the problem.
Whilst unloved timbers and beams can bring a dark and heavy feeling to a room, the opposite is very much true. Well maintained, nicely renovated, clean and tidy timbers and beams can transform a room creating a feature or centre piece. But as the custodian of a historic property, you may well be left wondering which method of beam cleaning or renovation is best and most sympathetic. If your property is listed, there will also be other considerations around permissible works under planning rules and also ensuring the rich history of the beams and their integrity is preserved.
An Alternative to Beam Cleaning
For decades, the only solution to dark, black, painted and fire or smoke damaged timbers was chemical stripping or shot/sand blasting. These processes are messy, destructive and can affect the integrity of the beams. They also remove archaeological evidence of the building’s construction and development. It is for this reason that we invented our process in 1997.
Rather than stripping back layers which create the rich history of the building’s construction and development, we apply an additional cosmetic layer that helps to highlight the original features of the timber, whilst also lightening the look and feel.
Our solution enhances what is already present and allows you to balance aesthetics with conservation. We simply create another step in the long timeline already associated with your property.
Benefits of our Process
- No Need to Clear the Room – Simply protect valuables and furniture as if you were decorating.
- Fast – The process is fast. We recommend ventilating the area in question for 24 hours post application, but only to aid the drying process. Rooms can typically be used again on the same day.
- Mess Free – With our process there is no need for messy and disruptive sandblasting or any other blasting method, mechanical or chemical stripping. It is the only mess free alternative to blasting and stripping. The process is applied with brushes only.
- Highlights Original Features – Where black paint hides features, our process accentuates and Highlights original timber features.
- Can be Removed – When creating our treatment, we also made sure that it can be easily removed if necessary, again without the need for blasting or stripping.
- Preserves Historical Integrity – Our process is a cosmetic treatment applied to the timber, without the removal of any historic paint or timber layers.
- Non-hazardous – We do not use corrosive chemicals in our process. All applications are water based and virtually odourless